- You can see the photos I took at the memorial here.
- I spoke to Vlad, who was wearing a Lokomotiv Yaroslavl jersey. It was an Anton But jersey (you can see it in the photo set). Anton But played for Lokomotiv until the ’05-’06 season. He is currently on Metallurg Magnitogorsk’s roster.
Anton But was the New Jersey Devils’ 5th round pick in the 1998 NHL Draft.
Vlad told me that Lokomotiv was his hometown team. He had just recently moved to the area from Arizona, heard about the memorial being planned, and decided to come. It was the first time he’d been to The Rock.
- There were hockey fans here tonight. A lot of different teams were represented, but they were all hockey fans. Everyone was here to pay tribute to members of their hockey family.
- There were about 40 people here at one point. I’d guess a total of about 120-130 people stopped by at some point throughout the evening.
- The Devils are going to attempt to set up an area with the items that were left at Championship Plaza. They are also going to work on a digital memorial.
- You can light a virtual candle for the Lokomotiv team by clicking here.
- About three dozen people here now. Some speaking about their memories of the players, specifically ex-Devil Vasyunov.
- It’s 5:02 pm and there are about 20 people here. The hockey player statue has quite a few items placed at his stick. (pictures will be posted here later. You can see them on my Twitter feed now)
I will be in Newark for the tribute to Lokomotiv Yaroslavl set up by fans at Championship Plaza.